The most photographed mountains in North America are right here in Aspen! Located 10 miles from Aspen up Maroon Creek Road, they are not to be missed, whether you are visiting Aspen for an hour or 3 months they are sure to be a highlight of your trip. Their accessibility is limited by car, so see below on how to get there:
NOVEMBER 2016: Maroon Creek Road is currently CLOSED.
The Maroon Bells bus can be accessed at Aspen Highlands which is just 2 miles up Maroon Creek Road on the left hand side. There is limited parking available at Aspen Highlands for $5 per vehicle. Purchase bus tickets for $8 inside of Four Mountain Sports. Busses depart every half hour.
If you don't have your own car you can also take the Castle/Maroon RFTA bus from Rubey Park Transportation Center in downtown Aspen. This bus is free and departs every 20 minutes starting on the hour. Take the Castle/Maroon bus to Aspen Highlands and then transfer to the Maroon Bells Bus.
*Exceptions to the no car rule are:
1. From 5:00 pm - 8:00 am road is open to vehicles with $10 recreation use fee.
2. Vehicles with a valid Handicap placard, handicap/disability license plates, or the permanently disabled national pass.
3. Vehicles with 11 people or more, $3/person.
4. Vehicles with infants that require a restraining child seat (children must be 2 and under, booster seats do not qualify).
5. People camping at Silver Bar, Silver Bell and Silver Queen Campgrounds.
6. Holders with Special Use Permits issued by the Forest Service.
7. Horse trailers.