NEWS FROM ASPEN, COLORADO FOR THE 2019/2020 WINTER SEASON
- W Aspen and The Sky Residences at W Aspen opened in Aspen in August 2019, as the first Alpine escape hotel in North America for W Hotels Worldwide. The new hotel and residences were designed by Nemaworkshop in partnership with local firm Rowland + Broughton Architecture and W’s in-house design team, offering 88 guestrooms and 11 W-branded fractional residences. Conveniently located at the base of Aspen Mountain, the W Aspen features a 12,000 sq. ft. rooftop bar and pool, also known as the “Wet Deck,” which is open to the public with expansive views of Aspen Mountain, as well as the Living Room, which serves breakfast, lunch and dinner, and cocktail bar 39 Degrees.
- The Little Nell recently received a refresh with an interior renovation of the living room, lobby, Chair 9, and Ajax Tavern in the spring of 2019. The Little Nell will celebrate its 30th anniversary this Thanksgiving with commemorative events and celebrations taking place throughout the 2019/2020 season.
ART AND CULTURE NEWS
- NEW! The Aspen Art Museum (AAM) is proud to announce its presentation of Yayoi Kusama’s Where the Lights in My Heart Go (2016) through May 10, 2020. One of the artist’s acclaimed Infinity Mirror Rooms series of immersive environments in which mirrors create the illusion of an expansive and infinite space. A central aspect of her artistic practice since the mid-1960s, Kusama’s Infinity Mirror Rooms have become iconic and popular touchstones of the artist’s nearly seventy-year explorations of eternity, the sublime, and cosmic infinity across a wide range of media and genres.
- NEW! Aspen Art Tours is the first free guided art gallery walking tour of Aspen, featuring the most contemporary art spaces through an interactive approach. Aspen Art Tours create curated and professionally guided walking tours and artist studio visits offering the participants a unique opportunity to learn the story behind the art. Tours are offered weekly, and private bookings are available as well. The weekly schedule can be found at www.aspenarttours.com
- As a part of Bauhaus 100: Aspen celebration, Aspen Historical Society presents “bayer and Bauhaus: how design shaped aspen.” This new exhibit delves into the profound influence of Herbert Bayer’s work on Aspen. The exhibit will live in the Wheeler Stallard Museum until March 2020.
- In 2020, the Aspen Music Festival and School will launch the new Aspen Opera Theater and VocalARTS under the leadership of co-artistic directors Renée Fleming and Patrick Summers. The program provides a unique and premier-level opportunity for developing opera singers by combining performance with intensive individual instruction and mentorship with two of opera’s leading performing professionals.
- COMING 2021 The “JAS Center” is Jazz Aspen Snowmass’ new permanent home in the Aspen core for JAS Café performances, jazz education programming, and special events for private as well as not-for-profit and community users. Construction is tentatively projected for April 2020 with an opening planned in 2021.
- Date TBC. A new center dedicated to the work of Bauhaus artist and Aspen icon Herbert Bayer is planned for the Aspen Institute campus. The new center will exhibit Bayer’s work from Lynda and Stewart Resnick’s extensive Bayer collection, the Aspen Institute’s holdings, as well as pieces on loan from museums, while housing archives from Bayer scholars and public education.
FOOD & WINE NEWS
- NEW! Italian costal cuisine restaurant Duemani, owned by the restaurateurs behind Aspen’s Acquolina, recently opened in downtown Aspen. The menu has an emphasis on seafood and include a variety of pasta dishes. (216 S. Monarch St.)
- Opening Dec. 26. The Surf Lodge in Montauk has set its sights on Aspen this winter with their pop-up located at the base of Aspen Mountain, The Snow Lodge. Surf Lodge Chef Robert Sieber will make his way to Aspen for the winter to serve locally sourced Colorado cuisine including river-caught fish, caviar potatoes and gruyere fondue. The Snow Lodge is partnering with Belly Up Aspen to launch a winter iteration of their summer concert series on the outdoor deck complete with a DJ ready stage. (501 E. Dean St.)
- NEW! Almresi Aspen is a new European-alpine style restaurant is serving lunch and dinner. The mountain cuisine will be inspired by fare from the Rocky Mountains and the Alps. Located inside the Dancing Bear Aspen. (411 S. Monarch St.)
- NEW! Conca del Sogno opened at the Chef's Club inside the St. Regis Aspen Resort. Conca del Sogno is best known for its remarkable sea-to-table cuisine. The restaurant serves dinner nightly. (315 E. Dean St.)
- NEW! Enjoy wine and spirits tastings in Mini Jimmy’s, the world’s smallest speakeasy located inside Jimmy’s world-renowned bar. Guests can choose from either a wine tasting with Wine Director Greg Van Wagner or a spirits tasting guided by Jessica Lischka, General Manager and Partner, with a selection of mezcal, Scotch or Japanese whisky. This experience is available for parties of three maximum. New this season, guests can book tastings via Airbnb Experiences or by calling Jimmy’s directly at 970.925.6020. (205 S. Mill St.
- Opening Jan. 2020. Bear Den Aspen is a new bakery-café slated to open in the former Cottage space on the corner of Hopkins and Monarch. The cafe will serve breakfast and lunch. Guests can look forward to homemade baked goods, soups, salads and sandwiches. (301 E. Hopkins Ave.)
- Opening Jan. 2020. The former Cooking School of Aspen will turn into Joonas, a wine and tapas bar. The cuisine will focus of organic, local and seasonal selections when available. (301 E. Hopkins Ave.)
- Opening Soon. The Ranch Room plans to open on Aspen’s famed “restaurant row” serving dinner and offering a charcuterie bar. (308 E. Hopkins Ave.)
APRÈS SKI FOR THE MIND
- In addition to the finest dining, bars and club scene in Colorado, Aspen is also known for its unique “après-ski for the mind.” Visitors can enjoy the following events during the winter season: Aspen Film’s Academy Screenings in January, Aspen Words’ Winter Words from January- March 2020, JAS Café performances year-round with Jazz Aspen Snowmass, concerts at Belly Up Aspen, art and exhibit openings at Aspen Art Museum, and more.
- NEW! LIV Aspen Men is a menswear shop offering a range stylish clothing and accessories. Lifestyle brands lines that can be found at the boutique include Belstaff, Elisabeth Weinstock, Philippe Model, Vince, John Varvatos and more. (402 S. Galena)
- NEW! Chanel recently opened a pop-up boutique featuring a selection from the luxury French fashion house’s two ready-to-wear collections open through Jan. 21, 2020. (416 E. Cooper)
- NEW! Christian Louboutin opened its first pop-up in the U.S. in Aspen featuring men’s and women’s collections. The space will be open through March 2020. (601 E. Hyman Ave.)
- NEW! Goop has returned to Aspen with a winter boutique offering a selection of skiwear, après ski gear, wellness accessories and more. (422 E. Cooper Ave.)
- Here House is a member’s space designed for locals that are active contributors to Aspen. Here House offers workspace amenities, a conference room, a library/living room, private meeting space, and all the food and & beverage from Local Coffee House offered through table service. The experience is offered through a membership to the space offering a competitive rate.
- Hunter Loft is Aspen's newest venue offering 3,700 sq. ft of contemporary event space. The venue is located one block from the Aspen gondola and offers mountain views from its second-floor location. Hunter Loft can accommodate up to 200 guests.
- Alt-Aspen is a shared working and locker room space in the heart of town geared towards like-minded locals and visitors who need a workspace on a short-term or long-term basis.
ASPEN CHAMBER RESORT ASSOCIATION NEWS
- To help promote responsible tourism, Aspen Chamber Resort Association (ACRA) created the ‘Aspen Pledge,’ an initiative with positive messages on how to visit and play in Aspen. The Aspen Pledge was created to encourage visitors – and locals - to take ownership in maintaining Aspen’s natural beauty for all for generations to come. The Aspen Pledge can be found online at www.aspenchamber.org/pledge and is also available in print at all of the ACRA visitor’s centers.
- ACRA’s new “Tag Responsibly” campaign encourages locals and visitors to “Tag Responsibly – Take the Aspen Pledge.” As Instagram and other social media channels have encouraged people to travel the world while snapping photos of the most beautiful places discovered, some places in the world are getting over-visited – or people are endangering themselves for that perfect Instagram shot. Instead of using a geotag on Instagram posts, which provides the exact location down to the latitude and longitude, ACRA encourages locals and visitors to use the geotag “Tag Responsibly – Take the Aspen Pledge” to protect Aspen’s most coveted areas in and around town.
- ‘How to Aspen’ is Aspen’s newest resource for visitors seeking local tips on the dos and don’ts when visiting Aspen. The campaign offers videos and content that help answer questions on how to enjoy Aspen and the great outdoors responsibly. ‘How to Aspen’ can be found on www.aspenchamber.org/how-to and on ACRA’s social media channels.
WINTER EVENT HIGHLIGHTS
- Dec. 20-31: The 12 Days of Aspen takes over the town and turns it into a winter wonderland of holiday cheer. Locals and visitors can enjoy free ice skating, visits with Santa, s’more making parties, caroling, and more.
- Jan. 4-7, 2020: From buzzy, big-name features to fresh independent voices, the Aspen Film Academy Screenings brings the thrill of the Oscar® race to mountains for a showcase of awards season contenders.
- Jan. 9-12, 2020: Wintersköl™, Aspen’s annual “toast to winter” returns for its 68th year January 9 - 12, 2020. The four-day celebration features on-and-off mountain activities, festivals, free-and-nearly-free events for the entire family. Wintersköl, Aspen's annual "toast to winter," dates back to a quiet January in 1951 when local Aspenites decided to celebrate Aspen's unique lifestyle with an eclectic weekend of festivities. Today the four-day celebration of winter in Aspen features a variety of community events, fireworks and much more.
- Jan. 23- 26, 2020: For the 19th consecutive year, Aspen will host the X Games Aspen at Buttermilk. The event includes more than 200 of the world's best athletes in the disciplines of ski, snowboard and snowmobile competing for the most coveted medals in action sports.
WINTER SKI DEALS
This winter, there are incredible deals on lift tickets, ski and snowboard school lessons, equipment rentals, and complete vacation packages for the 2019-2020 ski season.
- Kids Ski Free Package: Rent kids equipment (ages 7 – 12) from Four Mountain Sports and receive one free child lift ticket. Valid Jan. 1, 2020 – Apr. 21, 2020.
- SKI30: SKI30 allows guests to enjoy unlimited skiing and riding for 30 consecutive days. Minimum of 7 nights lodging required. Valid Travel Dates: Jan. 1 - April 19, 2020.
For media information and images, contact Promo Communications:
Maureen Poschman [email protected]
Melissa Wisenbaker [email protected]
For visitor information, visit www.aspenchamber.org, or call 1.888.290.1324 or 970.925.1940.