ASPEN WINTER 2016-17 UPDATES
- This winter, Delta Airlines becomes the third airline to offer nonstop service from Los Angeles (LAX) to Aspen (ASE). Delta Airlines will also add nonstop service from Salt Lake City (SLC). These additional nonstop flights begin Dec. 17, 2016, when Delta resumes seasonal daily nonstop flights from Atlanta (ATL) and Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP).
- FIS Ski World Cup Finals (Mar. 15 – 19, 2017)
Aspen will host the 2017 Audi FIS Ski World Cup Finals from Mar.15 – 19, marking the first time the event has been held in the U.S. in 20 years. The races will feature the best men’s and ladies’ alpine skiing athletes in the world competing in downhill, super-G, giant slalom, slalom and nation’s team event. Aspen has a long history of World Cup ski racing having hosted the first World Championships outside of Europe in 1950.
- NEW! The Dancing Bear Aspen Mountainside building is the second and final phase of the private residence club. The new building features ten three-bedroom residences, a stunning 3,200 sq. ft. penthouse residence, a spa grotto and steam room, new restaurant, and more.
- COMING SOON! The Little Nell’s guest rooms, premium guest rooms, and suites will be refreshed in spring 2017 by Champalimaud Design of New York. The refresh of the rooms is scheduled to be completed by summer 2017.
- COMING SOON! Hotel Jerome plans to renovate and expand with the recent purchase of the Aspen Times Building by adding eight keys by Dec. 2017 as well as new amenities including a revitalized courtyard between the two buildings with a pool deck and patio. (330 E. Main St.)
- COMING SOON! W Aspen and The Sky Residences at W Aspen is slated to open for the 2018 winter ski season. The new hotel and residences will be designed by Nemaworkshop in partnership with local firm Rowland + Broughton Architecture and W’s in-house design team, offering 88 guestrooms and 11 W-branded fractional residences. Conveniently located at the base of Aspen Mountain, the development will also feature a 12,000 sq. ft. rooftop bar and pool with expansive views of Aspen Mountain.
- COMING SOON! Marianna Boesky Gallery will open a space in Aspen in March 2017 with a show of new and recent work by Frank Stella and Larry Bell. The gallery plans to stage various exhibitions during peak seasons, and offer a residency program in the shoulder season. (110 S. Spring St.)
- The Little Nell will open a new boutique in mid-Dec. inside the hotel with must-have souvenirs and luxe gifts including branded cashmere slippers, preserves from the pasty kitchen, Little Nell pet leashes, and more. (675 E. Durant Ave.)
- The BLK MKT is a pop up concept located in the old Boogie’s building from Mike Delaney and Sammy Steen. The store and gallery features a mix of Balinese-inspired apparel and accessories, including items from Delaney and Steen’s label ROAM. The second floor of the building will host The Birds Nest Gallery with work from emerging and established artists. The pop up shop will occupy the space through the winter season. (534 E. Cooper Ave.)
- Tesla will open a “gallery” for their electric cars this winter in downtown Aspen on the Cooper Ave. mall. (422 E. Cooper Ave.)
- Only Nature Pet will open on the Cooper Ave. mall Dec. 2016. The store specializes in nature, organic and eco-friendly supplies and holistic health-care information for dogs and cats. (416 E. Cooper Ave.)
- A men’s and women’s clothing store named Kith will move into the Cooper Avenue Mall.
- Odd Molly, a women’s clothing line from Sweden, will open in the Aspen Square Hotel. (613 E Cooper Ave.)
- Aspen Snowmass opened a new high-end logo store near the gondola plaza with logoed items such as Aspen Highlands Ski Patrol straps, high-end leatherwear, home goods, dog leases, and a plethora of clothing options. (555 E. Durant Ave.)
- Donna Karan’s lifestyle brand Urban Zen opened a pop-up store in a new location in downtown Aspen. The shop features women’s apparel, leather goods, jewelry and art. (625 E. Hyman Ave.)
FOOD & WINE NEWS
- NEW! Broth-el is a new food truck located on the Hyman pedestrian mall serving up bone broth, ramen, macaroni and cheese, hot beverages such as coffee and hot chocolate and more. Broth-el will source meat as local and organic as possible for all dishes. (Hyman Pedestrian Mall)
- NEW! Shlomo returns to Aspen with the new Shlomo’s Bar & Grill serving up American and Mediterranean food. The family friendly restaurant offers affordable options for breakfast (including a gondola-menu-to-go), brunch, lunch and dinner. Shlomo’s Bar & Grill is located adjacent to the Silver Queen Gondola in the Residences at The Little Nell. (501 E. Dean St.)
- NEW! Home Team BBQ opened Dec. 2016 at the base of Buttermilk inside the Inn at Aspen. The casual and family friendly spot serves up breakfast, lunch, après, and dinner, with a variety of barbecue favorites, sliders, ribs, wings, locally sourced vegetables and salads. (38750 HWY 82)
- COMING SOON! Local resident and restaurateur David Roth plans to open Oakville Grocery Aspen, a new restaurant featuring farm first products serving up breakfast and lunch. Oakville Grocery will also offer specialty items for purchase including locally made breads, meats, cheese and more. (201 E. Main St.)
- The St. Regis Aspen’s Trecento Quindici Decano new executive chef Samir Roonwal is revamping the restaurant’s menu to reflect his Indian upbringing and international experience in kitchens from Dubai to Toronto. New dishes will incorporate international flavors with dishes such as Vietnamese bao with short ribs and hummus with shredded lamb and pistachio crumbs. (315 E. Dean St.)
- Renowned Aspen chef Barclay Dodge opened Bosq in summer 2016 on the Mill Street Mall with indoor and al fresco dining offering lunch and dinner. The restaurant serves up new world cuisine with a strong Chinese flavor and a wine list with accessible options. Bosq will be open for dinner only over the winter 2016 – 17 season. (312 S. Mill St.)
- Jus Aspen opened over the spring season offering healthy take out options. Jus offers everything from wraps, sandwiches and salads to smoothies, juices and acai bowls, all in house, using locally sourced ingredients. (501 E. Hyman Ave.)
- Craft cocktail bar Hooch serves up a variety of cocktails and late-night bites from Meat & Cheese. (301 E. Hopkins Ave).
ARTS & CULTURE NEWS
- Aspen Art Museum (AAM) continues with a season of renowned exhibitions, including the following, which open on Nov. 3, 2016:
- Julian Schnabel, Nov. 4, 2016 – Feb. 19, 2017-This is the first museum presentation to focus on the renowned American artist’s now culturally iconic plate paintings.
- Mary Ramsden, Nov. 4, 2016 – Feb, 19, 2017 - For her first solo museum exhibition, British artist Mary Ramsden presents a new series of paintings.
- Danh Võ, Nov. 4, 2016 – June 11, 2017- Danh Võ’s We The People is part of the artist’s long-term project to reconstruct Frédéric Auguste Bartholdi’s Statue of Liberty on a 1:1 scale. Re-creating only the statue’s fragile copper skin—the thickness of two copper pennies—and using the same fabrication technique as the original, Võ explores the relationship between monumentality and materiality in We The People.
- AspenFilm’s ShortsFest (April 4 – 9, 2017) Aspen Film ShortsFest, now in its 26th year, is considered one of the world's premier international short film and video showcases for the trend-setting art form: the short. Aspen ShortsFest offers a lively, thought-provoking, and humorous selection of drama, comedy, animation and documentary—all at 40 minutes or less.
- Aspen Music Festival presents the following celebrated musicians as part of the Winter Music Recital series at the stunning Harris Concert Hall:
- February 9 – Conrad Tao, piano
- March 2 – Simone Porter, violin
- March 11 – Robert McDuffie, violin
- Aspen Santa Fe Ballet’s 20th anniversary continues through the holidays with The Nutcracker Dec. 10-11, 2016, the world premier or a new work by Cheric Barton Feb. 18 and April 1, and a guest company performance of Shadowland by Pilobolus on March 2, 2017.
- Jazz Aspen Snowmass (JAS) Performances: The winter JAS Café series will feature world-renowned jazz artists in the downstairs area of The Little Nell as well as the Cooking School of Aspen.
- Wheeler Opera House will debut their new “Winter Wonderland in Aspen” series throughout the winter season from Dec. 3 – 31, 2016. The series includes a diverse lineup of artists including The Beach Boys, The Ten Tenors, comedian Kevin Smith, The Blind Boys of Alabama, and more.
- Aspen Words will celebrate their 20th anniversary of the Winter Words Series Jan. 17 – April 4, 2017. This year’s featured authors including New York Times bestselling author Azar Nafisi, Kevin Fedarko with Pete McBride, Yaa Gyasi, New Yorker staff writer Adam Gopnik, and three alumni of the Aspen Summer Words writing conference, Stephanie Danler, Anna Noyes, and Molly Prentiss.
Uphilling itself is news! Also known as ski touring or skinning, uphilling is accessible on all four mountains at Aspen Snowmass—Aspen Mountain, Aspen Highlands, Snowmass, and Buttermilk. At Buttermilk, Snowmass, and Aspen Highlands, uphillers are granted access even during operating hours on specified designated routes and on Aspen Mountain, skinners can ski tour up outside of lift operation hours. Aspen Snowmass is also holding uphilling clinics and ski tour equipment rentals at Four Mountain Sports store located downtown Aspen. For details visit the Aspen Snowmass Uphill Guide.
WINTER SKI DEALS
This winter, there are incredible deals on lift tickets, ski and snowboard school lessons, equipment rentals, and complete vacation packages for the 2016-2017 ski season.
- Kids Ski Free Package: Rent kids equipment (ages 7 – 12) from Four Mountain Sports, and receive one free kids lift ticket. Valid Jan. 1, 2017 – Apr. 16, 2017; www.aspensnowmass.com.
For media information and images, contact Promo Communications:
Maureen Poschman [email protected]
Melissa Wisenbaker [email protected]
For visitor information, visit www.aspenchamber.org, or call 1.888.290.1324 or 970.925.1940.