- Camping in Aspen is plentiful at both campgrounds and wilderness areas.
- To secure a spot in advance, connect with the White River National Forest for campground reservations and permits, or take a look at available Bureau of Land Management (BLM) areas suggested for wilderness and BLM camping. Permits are now required for all overnight campers at the Conundrum Hot Springs.
- If you are backpacking, follow campfire rules and don’t camp within 100 feet of any trails, lakes, streams or rivers.
- Backcountry campers should know how to dispose of human waste. Catholes (small pits for human waste and then covered with earth) are not allowed within 100 feet of any water source (obvious reasons, right?). They must be eight inches deep and six inches wide. In many locations, campers are required to pack out anything they might otherwise leave “behind.” And the TP? Pack it out or bury it along with your waste.
- Leave a note in your car at the trailhead before you leave with information on where you are going and how long you expect to be camping.
- Once back in Aspen and you need a shower, campers can use the facilities at the Red Brick Recreation Center for $6 each.
- If you’re not confident in going it alone, adventurers can hire Aspen Alpine Guides or Aspen Expeditions for both summer and winter excursions to the 10th Mountain Division, Braun and Friends Hut Systems, or other backcountry outings in the Aspen area and beyond.
2018 ONLINE REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED
IMPORTANT PARADE INFORMATION
PARADE STARTING/STAGING: The parade will begin at 11:00am. Parade positioning is “first come, first serve” and line up begins no earlier than 10:00am. There is no entry fee and the parade is open to the public. All 5 lanes of Main Street, from Aspen Street to 2nd Street, will be closed to all traffic & designated for parade staging only. Power is not provided in staging area and remember generators do need gas.
PARADE ROUTE: The parade will start East on Main Street. It will turn South onto Hunter Street, then West onto Cooper Avenue. The parade will continue West on Cooper Avenue to Galena Street. At Galena it heads North for 2 blocks before turning West onto Hopkins Avenue. The parade will continue South on Mill then West on Hyman Avenue. Parade participants will be directed to disperse at Hyman and Monarch Street. PARADE JUDGING: Parade judging will take place in front of the Hotel Jerome. Participants will be limited to 1 minute or less for any performances in front of the judges. Security will be onsite monitoring all entries to help prevent gaps in the parade route. Recognition will be awarded to the best entries in the following categories:
Most Patriotic | Most Humorous | Best Animal | Best Music | Most Outrageous | Best Children’s
- Consumption of alcohol is prohibited during the parade.
- Candy, favors, etc. should not be thrown from your float/vehicle during the parade. This is for the safety of the spectators and to prevent children from running out into the street.
- Water balloons will not be permitted. According to city ordinances, those caught throwing balloons will be removed from the parade and could face citations and/or arrests.
- All parade entries must be in “good taste” and will be allowed in the parade per the director’s discretion.
- Maximum height restriction for any float entry is 13’5”.
The undersigned organization has elected to participate in the Fourth of July parade sponsored by the City of Aspen and Aspen Chamber Resort
Association (“ACRA”). In consideration for City of Aspen and ACRA allowing the undersigned to participate in the festivities, the undersigned has read, understood, and willingly agreed to the terms of this INSURANCE LIABILITY AGREEMENT and WAIVER AND INDEMNITY AGREEMENT (collectively referred to herein as “RELEASE”).
INSURANCE LIABILITY AGREEMENT
Participants are required to carry insurance adequate to cover any liability for damage, injury, economic loss, or other
liability that may be incurred by individuals and/or organizations during the Fourth of July parade. All participants agree to carry such insurance, and also agree not to submit any claim against the insurance of City of Aspen, ACRA and/or any other sponsors of the parade, their officers, directors, agents, shareholders, employees, or anyone else directly or indirectly connected with production of the parade.
WAIVER AND INDEMNITY AGREEMENT
The undersigned understands the potential dangers that could be encountered in participating in the Fourth of July
parade. The dangers include, among other things, dangers relating to vehicular and pedestrian traffic; crowds of persons in close proximity to such traffic; animals that may react unpredictably in a parade environment; celebration and recreational activities; loud and unexpected noise; items that may be thrown to and from the crowd in connection with the parade; and other dangers traditionally associated with parades.
Understanding those risks, the undersigned for itself and for all persons who the undersigned invites or allows to participate in the parade with the undersigned, does hereby agree to indemnify, hold harmless, and release City of Aspen, ACRA and/or any other sponsors of the parade, their
officers, directors, agents, shareholders, employees, and anyone else directly or indirectly connected with production of the parade from any and all
liability, claims, demands, actions, or rights of action (including attorneys’ fees and costs) that are related to or are in any way connected with the
undersigned’s participation in the parade. By signing this RELEASE, the undersigned intends to extinguish any and all liability and to indemnify against any loss on the part of City of Aspen, ACRA and/or any other sponsors of the parade, their officers, directors, agents, shareholders, employees, and anyone else directly or indirectly connected with production of the parade for any injury or damage of any nature (without regard to negligence or fault) to the undersigned and to all persons who the undersigned invites or allows to participate in the parade.
The undersigned warrants and represents that it will not invite or allow any person to participate in the parade unless
such person is bound to the terms of this RELEASE. To that end, the undersigned agrees that it shall take any steps necessary to secure agreement of such persons to the terms of this RELEASE, and that it shall be deemed a responsible person within the meaning of C.R.S. § 13-22-107 and § 19-1103(94) for all children who the undersigned invites or allows to participate in the parade.
SUBMISSION OF APPLICATION
I am the official representative of the undersigned organization. On behalf of the organization, I acknowledge our responsibilities as set forth above. I also accept on behalf of the organization all of the terms and conditions of this
INSURANCE LIABILITY AGREEMENT and WAIVER AND INDEMNITY AGREEMENT.