By car, shuttle or plane, with some simple planning your trip to Aspen is sure to be seamless and fun!
KNOW BEFORE YOU GO:
- Aspen is 220 miles or approximately 3.5 hours via I-70 West to Glenwood Springs.
- During summer months, however, another scenic route from Denver is I-70 West to -State Highway 91 South -through Leadville to US 24 South, then west onto SH 82 over Independence Pass. (The Pass is only open during warm-weather months, typically from just before Memorial Day in May to early November, weather permitting).
- Please note: vehicles or vehicle combinations (e.g. a truck and trailer) over 35 feet in length are not permitted over the narrow Independence Pass and oversize commercial vehicles are also NOT permitted. We recommend you look into road conditions and/or closures for either route you choose by calling the Colorado Department of Transportation's road information hotline at 511 from anywhere in the state, or going to www.cotrip.org. For more information on Independence Pass, click here.
From Grand Junction
- Aspen is an easy 2.5-hour drive east on I-70 connecting with State Highway 82 in Glenwood Springs.
- Aspen is about 70 miles or approximately 1 hour & 40 minutes traveling I-70 West to Glenwood Springs.
- Aspen/Pitkin County Airport (ASE) is located only three miles from downtown Aspen, and is the most convenient airport in the Rocky Mountain region! Flying to Aspen has never been easier and is, by far, the quickest way to start your vacation. Click here for Aspen Flight Information.
- There is also service at Eagle County Regional Airport, located 70 miles from Aspen. Air Canada, American, Delta and United Express fly nonstop from 11 U.S. cities into Eagle. 970.328.2680.
- Several carriers will pick Aspen guests up at the Denver, Grand Junction or Eagle airport and transport them to Aspen for a fee. Guest will share a van, and equipment is safely stored on the roof or rear racks. For a list of our local transportation companies, visit our Business Directory.
- Most hotels have courtesy vans that provide pick-up service to and from the airport.
- The Roaring Fork Transportation Authority (RFTA), our local bus service, provides free shuttle service into Aspen and the town of Snowmass Village to/from the Aspen Airport, click to view the time schedule. For routes extending to other Roaring Fork Valley communities, including Basalt, El Jebel, Carbondale, Glenwood Springs and beyond, call for rates and times: 970.925.8484.
Recreational Vehicles (RVs):
Some important things to know if you are bringing your rig to Aspen:
- Trailers or motor homes over 35 feet in length are prohibited from traveling on Highway 82 over Independence Pass.
- The City of Aspen prohibits visitors from sleeping in vehicles, including RVs.
- Day parking for RVs can be found at Rio Grande Park in the carpool lot, or on Monarch Street.
- There are several campgrounds in the area that can accommodate modestly sized RVs.
- For more information, visit http://www.aspenpitkin.com/Departments/Parking. For more detailed information, call the Parking Control Department at 970.920.5267.