7 Ways To See The Fall Foliage In Aspen
- By foot: Leaf peeping is a favorite autumn pastime of Aspen’s visitors and locals alike. One of the easiest and boundless ways to leaf peep in Aspen is to lace up your hiking boots and go! Whether searching for a leisurely stroll along a meandering creek of a technical ascent of a 14er, Aspen has hiking trails for all abilities and fitness levels. A list of local hiking trails in and around Aspen, Woody Creek, Castle Creek Valley, Snowmass and more can be found here.
- By two wheels: As an epicenter for cycling, Aspen bikers can choose from the gently sloping Rio Grande Trail, a serene road ride up to the iconic Maroon Bells, a grueling ride up Independence Pass and more. For bicycle rentals and trail recommendations contact local experts at Aspen Velo or Bike Butlers. For more information on cycling in Aspen, click here.
- By four wheels: Scenic drives offer a simple way for leaf-peepers to enjoy the golden aspen’s from the comfort of their own vehicle. Top three scenic driving roads for encountering the ultimate color include Maroon Creek Road, Castle Creek Road and Independence Pass. Additional scenic drives to take can be found here.
- By water: Kayak the Roaring Fork and Colorado River with the Aspen Kayak and SUP Academy team. Alternatively, visitors are able to take in the autumn hues at a slower pace and get an incredible core workout with stand-up paddle boarding on the Northstar Nature Preserve in town.
- By air: Take in an aerial view of Aspen’s fall foliage with a paragliding adventure. Aspen Paragliding provides professional tandem instruction and certification with a full service dealer of paragliders and equipment. If this option sounds a little too extreme, check out their photos and videos online, and opt for the next (moderate) option instead.
- By appetite: Along with the stunning fall scenery, autumn brings discounts galore in Aspen, including specials at restaurants throughout town. Check out these fall dining discounts and dine al fresco to enjoy the fall surroundings right in downtown. Foodies and cooks alike can also still enjoy the Aspen Saturday Market, which runs every Saturday through October 6th.
- By gondola: Take a ride on the Silver Queen Gondola to the top of Aspen Mountain to experience the Aspen’s fall foliage from a bird’s eye view. If you prefer more of a work out, hike to the top of Ajax, you can always take the gondola back down for free. The Silver Queen Gondola runs on weekends through October 7th from 10 a.m.- 4 p.m.