Anderson Ranch Arts Center has an incredibly exciting summer lined up!
First, the Ranch offers more than 150 art workshops every summer in eight disciplines which bring artists of every level together to learn art making skills and gain inspiration from expert faculty.
This summer, we have painting experimentation, an exploration of collage, sculpture in clay, wood and steel, the art of capturing iPhone imagery, jewelry design, Japanese woodcut and Tech Workshops for kids—and that barely scratches the surface! Workshops will be taught by award-winning faculty, many of whom have exhibited worldwide.
We encourage everyone to sign up now, and secure your spot.
- Go directly to our website, andersonranch.org
- Read more about each specific workshop
- Get more information on skill levels and timing
We are also doing a BRAND-NEW collaboration with the Aspen Center for Environmental Studies! Anderson Ranch and ACES are offering a co-workshop the week of June 10th for children (details on our website) which will culminate in a fun public event on June 14th at Rock Bottom Ranch called “The Art of Flight: An Environmental and Artistic Spectacle."
This family-friendly event will feature DIY crafts, face painting, food trucks, and an IBEX Puppetry performance that highlights nature, artistic engineering, and visual storytelling. The artwork from the children's workshop "Fly High in the Sky" will be on display.
Some of our guest faculty will also give lectures
- Held Sundays and Tuesdays from June 4-September 17
- Lectures are completely free and open to the public!
Up next, our Visiting Artist Program, which is a core component of the Anderson Ranch experience, brings artists of all disciplines to our campus.
- Affords artists the time and space to complete projects in their area of expertise and to explore new work
- Visiting artists engage with the creative energy of our students through studio visits and critiques
- Visiting Artists also contribute to the Ranch community with lectures which are free and open to the public.
This summer, some of our great Visiting Artists are:
John Buck and Deborah Butterfield from May 26-June 11
Simon Haas from June 16 -July 2
Liam Everett from June 23 – June 29
Enrique Martinez Celaya from July 1 - July 22
Takashi Nakazato from July 15- Sept 26
Of course, we also have our Summer Series: Featured Artists & Conversations. These bring the most important contemporary artists and art influencers of today to the Ranch for lunchtime lectures and discussions.
- Held every Thursday from July 3 through August 15
- These are also open to the public!
Here is a list of some of the amazing speakers we have coming this summer!
Sanford Biggers - July 3
Paul McCarthy - July 11
Nick Cave (Recognition Dinner Honoree) - July 17
National Council Summer Series Celebration Speaker (TBA) - July 22
Taryn Simon in Conversation with Kate Fowle - July 25
Beth Rudin DeWoody in Conversation with Maynard Monroe - August 1
TBA - August 8
Lari Pittman - August 15
The Summer Series dovetails with our Critical Dialog Program.
- These are forums for learning about topics and trends in contemporary visual arts through interactive discussions with internationally renowned experts
One example, the program “The Work of Art in the Age of Hip Hop” will be an exploration into how hip hop synthesized the major artistic avant gardes of the 20th century and then fed them back into the popular culture in a way that transformed the art of our time. This dialog between Helen Molesworth, the Ranch Curator-in-Residence and artist Gary Simmons toggles back and forth between the history of hip hop, and the way it has shaped, changed, and influenced contemporary art.
Then, we’ll throw our Annual Recognition dinner on July 18.
- Anderson Ranch’s largest fundraising event of the year, celebrating creativity and service to the arts by recognizing the accomplishments of key figures in the art world
- Festive evening of celebration and fundraising
- Cocktails, dinner and a live auction, featuring works by leading contemporary artists and facilitated by Sotheby’s
- An acclaimed artist will receive our International Artist Award. He’s one of our most fun and irreverent honorees to date and we know the Roaring Fork Valley will be buzzing about this!
On August 3, we’ll host our Annual Art Auction and Community Picnic, which is another event that’s entirely free and open to the public.
- Anderson Ranch’s largest community fundraiser of the year and a highlight of the summer season!
- Held at the historic Ranch, we welcome art lovers of all ages to the campus
- More than 200 works of art from $100 – $20,000 are available in live and silent auctions. These are donated by artists, collectors and galleries and much of the work was made at the Ranch or produced specifically for this event
- Enjoy live music, art activities for children and a delicious picnic lunch prepared by the Ranch Café
- Proceeds support the Ranch’s artistic programs
And finally, don’t forget about our (almost) weekly Lunchtime Auctionettes starting June 14!
- bid on and win original artwork by Anderson Ranch faculty, visiting artists and staff.
- For just $10, you can also enjoy a barbeque lunch before the bidding begins
- Specific dates are June 14, 21, 28, July 5, July 12, July 26, August 9, 16 /and 23 and A SPECIAL EVENING AUCTIONETTE on September 19 (5-6PM).