By car, shuttle or plane, with some simple planning your trip to Aspen is sure to be seamless and fun!
Aspen/Pitkin County Airport (ASE) is located only three miles from downtown Aspen, and is the most convenient airport in the Rocky Mountain region! Flying to Aspen has never been easier and is, by far, the quickest way to start your vacation.
United/United Express: Daily connecting flights from Denver featuring the Canadair CRJ-700 regional jet with first-class and economy-plus seating. Also, seasonal nonstop flights from Los Angeles, Chicago, San Francisco, and Houston.
American Airlines: Seasonal service to Aspen with daily nonstop flights from Dallas/Fort Worth & Los Angeles featuring the CRJ-700 jet aircraft.
Delta: Seasonal service to Aspen with daily nonstop flights from Atlanta and Saturday-only flights from Minneapolis-St. Paul, featuring the 65-seat CRJ-700.
Delta is the only airline to offer daily nonstop service to Aspen from the Southeastern U.S. Combined with Saturday-only service from Minneapolis-St. Paul, the flights will provide convenient connecting opportunities through two of the world's largest hubs.
There is also service into Eagle County Regional Airport, located 70 miles from Aspen. Air Canada, American, Continental, Delta and United Express fly nonstop from 11 U.S. cities into Eagle. 970.328.2680.
From Denver, Aspen is 220 miles or approximately 3.5 hours via I-70 West to Glenwood Springs. During summer months, however, another scenic route from Denver is I-70 West to State Highway 91 South through Leadville to US 24 South, then west onto SH 82 over Independence Pass. (The pass is open only during warm-weather months, typically from just before Memorial Day in May to early November, weather permitting). Please note: vehicles or vehicle combinations (e.g. a truck and trailer) over 35 feet in length are not permitted over the narrow pass and oversize commercial vehicles are also not permitted. We recommend you look into road conditions and/or closures for either route you choose by calling the Colorado Department of Transportation's road information hotline at 511 from anywhere in the state; or going to www.cotrip.org. For more information on Independence Pass, go here.
From Grand Junction, Aspen is an easy 2.5 hour drive east on I-70 connecting with State Highway 82 in Glenwood Springs.
From Eagle/Vail, Aspen is about 70 miles or approximately 1 hour & 40 minutes travelling I-70 West to Glenwood Springs.
If you do bring a car, you'll want to familiarize yourself with Aspen's pay-and-display parking system and current road conditions:
- For Aspen's parking system, contact the City of Aspen Transportation and Parking Department at 970-920-5267 or visit http://www.aspenpitkin.com/Departments/Parking.
- For statewide road and weather conditions, chain laws and other construction information, please call the CDOT hotline at 511 from anywhere in the state or visit www.cotrip.org.
- MARCH 2016- DEC 2016 For traffic changes/updates on the Grand Avenue Bridge in Glenwood Springs, on route to Aspen, visit here.
Several carriers will pick Aspen guests up at the Denver, Grand Junction or Eagle airport and transport them to Aspen for a fee. Guest will share a van, and equipment is safely stored on the roof or rear racks. For a list of our local transportation companies, visit our Business Directory.
Most hotels have courtesy vans that provide pick up service to and from the airport. The Roaring Fork Transportation Authority (RFTA), our local bus service, provides free shuttle service into Aspen and the town of Snowmass Village to/from the Aspen Airport, click to view the time schedule. For routes extending to other Roaring Fork Valley communities, including Basalt, El Jebel, Carbondale, Glenwood Springs and beyond, call for rates and times: 970.925.8484.
Recreational Vehicles (RVs)
Some important things to know if you are bringing your rig to Aspen:
- Trailers or motor homes over 35 feet in length are prohibited from traveling on Highway 82 over Independence Pass.
- The City of Aspen prohibits visitors from sleeping in vehicles, including RVs.
- Day parking for RVs can be found at Rio Grande Park in the carpool lot, or on Monarch Street.
- There are several campgrounds in the area that can accommodate modestly sized RVs.
- For more information, visit http://www.aspenpitkin.com/Departments/Parking. For more detailed information, call the Parking Control Department at 970.920.5267.